Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 October 2007

Today is My Birthday

So yesterday I bought myself another sweater.

Not because I was cold -- because it was made of lovely angora yarn. 3USD. 11 ounces.

The yarn at the neck and top of the sleeves is mostly-white, shading to black at the cuffs and hem.

The yarn is five-stranded, shading from four white and one black at the top to four black and one white just above the bottom. (They aren't plied together, just stranded along and knit together.) At the color changes, the yarn was knotted at the edge. It spit-splices (I know, OH YUCK) beautifully.

They did cut and sew the tops of the shoulders, but I don't think I'll lose more than a row or two.

Introvert, Ranting

CoffeeLady left me a comment and mentioned being called a word I just hate: "anti-social". Grf. I got called that in high school, and I never liked it.

I'm not "anti" anything social. An introvert is NOT a broken extrovert. Sheesh.

I think of us introverts as being like soap bubbles: if you blow one bubble, it floats out there all perfect and round. If you blow another so it sticks to the first, both of them get a flat spot where they touch. And if you blow a whole big froth of bubbles, the ones in the middle get flat spots all over until they look more like crystals than bubbles.

Extroverts patently love being in the middle with flat spots all over. Introverts are soon ready to get out of the froth and fluff back out to their own nice spherical bubble selves.

We're not anti-social. [growls again] We don't need to "get over being shy". We're just introverts.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's my birthday, too - happy birthday to both of us!
I bought myself Converse All-Stars & slipons with sheep on them for my birthday.

And I hear you on the Introvert thing. No one would ever suspect that I'm an Introvert, but I really need my time alone to recharge. My most favorite thing is to be in my house, all alone, when everyone else is at work & school.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Sorry about that -- I didn't mean for it to be anonymous, and there doesn't appear to be a way for me to edit it. Oh well.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Crazy Colorado Knitter said...

Ugh. There's nothing "wrong" with being an introvert, but extroverts don't understand that. Some people recharge by being in crowds, some people recharge by being alone.

An extrovert is also NOT a broken introvert. And both can be chatty, happy people. It's just where they draw their strength. It's just more socially acceptable to be an extrovert.

No one tells them to "get over" wanting to be with people all the time.

6:16 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Happy Birthday! I love having an autumn birthday.

Agreed, "introvert" and "shy" are not the same thing; but people confuse them all the time. I'm not shy at all. But geez, I get tired of being around people. I can actually feel my energy sapping away from me, and then I start to crave being absolutely alone. Like lately. I just want a small room, with yarn and needles and really, that would be enough. And No. Other. People.

6:17 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

followed you over from Rose Red just to wish you a happy birthday :]

7:38 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

oh happy birthday! Presents to yourself are always vital on your birthday, I think.

I love that metaphor. As an extroverted introvert (yes, I think that's really what I mean), I don't mind the flat side thing once in a while, but not ALL the time. I like to be perfectly round on my own a lot but need the odd bit of flat siding.

9:34 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Happy birthday! Yes there are days I feel like people and days I don't - but a birthday present is ALWAYS OK!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Happy Birthday!! Good on you for buying yourself a present (I'm a bit partial to that myself!!).

I'm also an introvert - many people who "know" me don't believe it, as I can be loud and out there - but I do prefer the alone times. I love your metaphor too!

1:55 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Somehow I missed this yesterday, so happy belated birthday. I hope it was a good one, nice and quiet, and you got to do whatever you wanted.

I would never in a million years be called shy, but I am an introvert from WAY back. I need a lot of time by myself to recharge, in order to handle people. And given a choice, I'd rather be alone than in a crowd. And of course I prefer my friends one-on-one, as I bet you do too.

Anyway. May yesterday's good day extend to the entire weekend.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Love the concept of Introvert Ranting.

We're here, we're quiet. Now quit hassling us!

1:27 PM  
Blogger DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

Happy belated birthday!!! and I agree with your introverted explanation, my daughter is that way and she doesn't mind social activities and has tons of friend, but she definately and throughly enjoys alone time especially if it includes reading.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter