Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



19 November 2007

Thanksgiving Week

In the US, this is the week of Thanksgiving, and my husband has taken the whole week off, partly because he is taking his car (the one that hit the fallen tree) in for repairs.

The first part of that sentence means that I need to do some inventory of the fridge, freezer, and pantry for cranberry relish, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie ingredients, followed by grocery-shopping for anything I'm missing.

The second part means I have to protect my exposed belongings, if necessary by flinging my body on top of them, from Mr. Hurricane Of Throwing Away. I will hear the question, "Do you still use this?" many times. I predict a very stressful week for an introvert packrat.

I will also be hearing helpful phrases like, "Do you want me to start bread?"

This is a code phrase meaning, "I want you to make bread so I can eat it, and I know if I put the ingredients in and start the bread machine running, you will be forced to come and monitor it so that it actually makes dough and doesn't keep beating the dough-ball against one end of the pan while half the flour huddles against the other end of the pan."

One thing about bread dough: it does not mix well with knitting.

Neither does laying (lying? laying? I always get those mixed up) atop a pile of your belongings to keep them from blowing away.

If I get any knitting time in, you'll be the second to know.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bells said...

it sounds stressful. I don't want to hear about stress! I want to hear about big fat turkeys and all the other good things about thanksgiving! Don't ruin my idealism Alwen!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

We are going to friends' house for Thanksgiving, which means I won't have to cook a turkey but will be in charge of pies and whatever else I get put in charge of. I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

English lesson (sorry, but you asked for it): lie, meaning recline, is intransitive, and you lie, lay, have lain on top of your stuff. Lay, meaning to place, is transitive, and you lay, laid, have laid a curse on anyone who tosses your stuff.

The fish is cool! Will it be stuffed? I'm now thinking catnip fish for my cats.

4:42 PM  
Blogger MadMad said...

EXACTLY!!!! And? They come stand over you while you're trying to type on the computer.... oh well. Just a couple more days, right?

Hope you had a great Turkey Day (those pies look yummy)!

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter