Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 November 2007

When You Wake Up with a Fish in Your Head...

...the only thing to do is spit knit it out as fast as possible.It's a prototype fish, being made up as I knit, and I blush to admit that I haven't taken any notes on what I did, just knitted it out as fast as I could.

At this point it was being double-knitted on a single needle, because I had fins on the back and the belly, and got tired of fussing with them in the round. When I get past the back fin, I might change back to knitting in the round.

I spent a lot of time yesterday watching my goldfish swim and knitting fin shapes in my head.

I'm not sure if I am going to give it both pectoral and pelvic fins or not. (Thank goodness for Google, where I found the names for the parts of a fish.) And I'm not sure if it is going to have two pelvic fins. I think I can see how to knit two.

Michigan Weather Report:

These two pictures were taken 12 days apart: on the 4th of November and the 16th.

I am feeling pretty grateful to be a person who likes fall and winter. November doesn't oppress me. I love cold weather. I love cold air and the heavy, rich brown tannin scent of fallen leaves.

I'll admit to getting tired of having to shovel and re-shovel the driveway in the driving snow, but I love sitting inside, soaking in the radiant heat from the soapstone stove, and looking out at driving snow.

I'm married to a guy who grapples with seasonal depression, so believe me, I'm more than sympathetic to people who don't love the winter darkness.

But in the summer I never get sunsets like this:

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

I hope you do eventually write it down. It looks great so far. Your fish part names are bringing up memories of learning that information in one of my biology classes--I think it was evolutionary biology. Fish are pretty fascinating, when you think of them evolutionarily.

Yep, I'm one of those people grappling with November. At least the sun is out today.

10:27 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I love November. I love hunkering with some nice wool and a good recorded book and drinking cocoa. I like the smell and the color of the sky. It is a different blue in fall/winter than in the warmer months. I'm sorry your husband feels the seasonal change. That must make it a little difficult to enjoy it.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, I was wondering if you knew that you won a little something in my contest. I also need your addy :).

My email died a day or so ago and I couldn't email or receive email (and if it got sent it ended up in lalaland).

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today, as I was reading your blog I heard my head saying, "Wow, that happened to me", "I like that, too", and "I was just thinking about that yesterday". I once designed a knitting/felting project in a dream and when I awoke it was still so vivid I bought yarn and started it. I too like the cooler weather. We had a beautiful autumn sky yesterday morning. Your photos are lovely. Just yesterday I was thinking about the smells of autumn and how I like the smell of the fallen leaves.
-punkin

2:19 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I love your fish - just fabulous.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Yeah, tonight the sky was a weird shade of orangey-gray, sweet!

Loving the fish and the fraggle chicken, she's fabulous!

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter