Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



12 January 2008

Alwen, She Sulking

(And reading LOLCats over at ICanHazCheezburger.)

Lest you think I have a perfect life, lemme tell you about my week.

After a very lazy two weeks' holiday, where my husband took some of his "use it or lose it" leave time, he went back to work. And not to his old eight-hour schedule, no-oooo. Due to some changes at the National Guard Armory where he works full-time, and to a couple of deployments, he went back to "four-tens", four ten-hour days.

Which means he gets home two hours later, and our son went from All Dad All the Time for two weeks to Dad for About Two Hours Before Bedtime.

That didn't go over so well. Tuesday they got into a screaming, blow-up fight, which I put down to Dad being Wiped Out and kid being Dad Deprived. They yelled, I yelled, the dogs shivered, and Ajax blew his coat the next day (his classic stress response).

Wednesday I had a GREAT time, but while I was out learning bead embroidery, my husband had friends over and our son played computer games.

Thursday our son came home from school with his backpack so full of books I could hardly lift it. So Thursday night I went through his books and handed him homework to do until bedtime. Oh, yeah. This stay-at-home mom business, it's just full of moments like that.

Friday morning I talked to the teaching assistant (his teacher was at a meeting) about what was going on at home and school, so we can see this doesn't happen again.

After that, we went grocery-shopping (oh, heck, you deserve one picture -- yeah, that's how my Polish & Irish-American husband shops -- and those are the hot&spicy seaweed chips), went out to lunch! together! by ourselves!, did some banking, and went home.

Friday night. Ah, Friday night. That would be when I went to take my husband's car to pick up the film I had developed, that last roll that was in the camera for about two years. And. Backed. It. Into. His. Friend's. Truck.

Crunch! was what I heard as I looked from the rearview to the back window.

CRAP! (with many dollar signs flying away) was what I thought when I got out and looked at the damage by flashlight. Not another quiviut-and-platinum stupid plastic bumper! No! No! Not one of those multi-color plastic triple-digit priced taillight covers! No! No! No!

Yes.

I went back in and confessed all and got hugs from my husband.

Friend's truck basically muttered, "Huh? Whah?" when I bumped it. No stinkin' damage at all.

Husband's car whined, "OW! OW OW OW YOU HIT ME!" Yes, this is the car that just got the tree-hitting damage repaired on the front end, the same cursèd car that has hit a couple of deer, a tree, a concrete well-pit, and numerous birds.

So I am feeling bad about this, as you can probably guess. Sure, I'm glad nobody got hurt (except my stinging pride). But just think of how many skeins of yarn I could buy with the money that is now going to go to fix that car.

Again.

Alwen, she sulking.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

I'm sorry you've had such a tough week. I hope next week is better? How early does your husband go to work? I'm amazed he works ten-hour days and still manages to see your son for two hours. We get about an hour of Daddy before bedtime around here, five days per week. I agree, the limited Daddy time can be very, very hard on everyone. (For one thing, my older son tries to wake himself up early enough to see Daddy in the morning, which is TOO EARLY for him to be up for the day. It's a problem.)

Good luck for a better week next week.

6:29 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Get rid of the car - yes - it's goota go - it's obviously a ad luck and ding magnet - get a different car - one that doesn't attract accidents.
Some cars (and children)are just like that. Nothing you can do - get a different one.

6:45 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

I meant BAD luck (obviously)

6:46 PM  
Blogger ames said...

Oh, what an awful week! Hopefully you've been able to relax this weekend and things will fall back to normal.

2:36 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

but you got a hug, right? At least THAT was a good response ... and yes I'm with Tink... the car's gotta GO
HUGZ

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go right ahead and sulk. I would too. That all sucks big time.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Yeah, sulk a bit more, and see if you can get a few more hugs. That can't hurt.

I hope next week is better.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

You get to sulk. No questions asked. Sulk until you're done. I will back you up on this one. And I"m hoping that things get better very, very soon.

6:33 PM  
Blogger DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

I agree with Tink, my hubby had one of those "can't leave the driveway without a dent" cars after ten repairs it was outta there. I hope this week will go better for your and the kid.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We, too, had one of those "magnetized" cars. It attracted everything to its bumpers. Cars, trees, brick walls, you name it. It finally got totalled and we had to get rid of it. Sulk away. What a week. Hopefully you got it all over with and this week will be better.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Georgie said...

What crappy, crappy luck. Sulking totally justified. And that car should be Banished.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter