Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



29 January 2008

Disgruntled Muttering

I was jolted out of bed this morning by the ringing telephone about 25 minutes before my alarm clock would have gone off.

I cannot believe this. School is closed! It's 44 degrees out there, people! Even in Celsius, that's a whole 7! Remember all that roof-raking I did? Hah! It rained yesterday and this morning the whole roof is clear!

The bad weather is not supposed to get here until this evening:

Snow and blowing snow and very strong winds tonight into Wednesday. Very strong winds and snow and blowing snow will create very hazardous travel conditions tonight into Wednesday. Near blizzard conditions are possible at times tonight especially near and west of US-131. Temperatures will plummet during the mid to late evening hours and overnight. The high winds could result in scattered power outages tonight into Wednesday. Roads could quickly become icy this evening as the much colder air advects in.
I completely understand that the sudden cold snap is going to freeze the rain, and then it's supposed to snow on top of that. So I could understand closing school tomorrow, when the weather will probably actually be bad.

But this afternoon there is still rain in the forecast. Rain!

I don't know what the deal is. Maybe somebody read this forecast and missed the part about "tonight into Wednesday," and decided to close the big school. (Our little school closes if the big one does.) Maybe they didn't turn on their porch light and look outside.

So we're at home, having a "snow" day. I guess we'll go do the grocery-shopping together -- look for stuff like powdered-sugar donuts in the van when we come home.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger TinkingBell said...

I want a snow day - then I could go back to bed and knit!! But it's hot (again) and fly-ey and I'll just mooch around and do usual stuff (can we have your rain,please?)

4:39 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I hope you bought eggs, milk and bread! That's what people in the Philadelphia area buy when there is even a hint of 'precipitation' in the forecast. I keep telling myself that we get our real snow storms in Feb and I need to be patient. I just want one good one. Everytime precipitation comes close, the temp goes up and the rain comes down. Oh, and do you believe I am already trying to figure out what I want to wear when Franklin comes to our neck of the woods?

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The front came through Buffalo last night. It was 47 when I went to bed and raining and 18 with wind gusts up to 65mph when I got up. School is closed here today.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Sympathy.

Bet they're closed again today as well.

But at least it's understandable today. Even my dogs don't want to go out in this mess.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter