Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



16 January 2008

What I Do When I'm Sulking


Originally titled "Socks, Socks, Socks," except while I was typing this I was reading blogs, and found that RoseRed had used almost exactly the same title!

Namely, rather than finish knitting the two pairs of socks I'm already working on, I cast on yet another pair in Patons' "Decor," a wool-acrylic blend yarn about like Lion Brand's Wool-Ease.

However, Wool-Ease does not come in this yummy "Secret Garden" color, dark greens and purples and teals, which I wanted the second I saw it. Unlike a lot of variegated yarns with greens and purples this one does not have that muddy gray-brown zone where the colors meet.

The pair in the middle is the what's-its-name, Chocolate Cherry, with the decrease half of the short-row heel turn knitted and the increases just begun.

On the right, the so-close-to-finished OnLine yarn socks, with only about 10 rows to go, yay!

And here is what I ate with my coffee this morning: stroopwafels imported from Albert Heijn in the Netherlands.

The stroopwafel is a hard thing to explain, two thin wafer-y outside layers like pizelles and a sweet "stroop" layer in the middle.

Stroop means syrup in Dutch, but the center isn't oozy unless you leave them in the sun on the dashboard of a car. It's more like the sticky, hard caramel of a SloPoke sucker, only in a thin layer and buffered by the wafel layer so it doesn't rip the fillings out of your teeth.

I first ate them in the Netherlands, where they are fresh and tasty. Every so often (given that I live fairly close to Holland, Michigan), I'll find them in the Dutch section of a store and buy a package, all hopeful. Usually they have that cold, old taste of stroopwafels that have travelled a little too long. Eventually we will go visit the Netherlands again and I'll eat a stroopwafel for you!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Rose Red said...

It is all about the socks right now isn't it!!

That patons yarn is lovely colours, I would have found it hard to resist too.

Have you had poffertjes (might not have spelled that correctly!)? Little Dutch pancakes with syrup and icing sugar - yum!!

5:07 PM  
Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

You sulk quite well! I sulked with low cal ice cream bars today and it wasn't nearly as satisfying..

7:14 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Try popping the stroopwaffel on the top of a cup of hot chocolate (Like a lid) and leaving for a little while - the syrup goes melty and gooey and wonderful - you can do it with coffee - but it's not the same!!

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter