Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



24 January 2008

Snowed All Night

Anyone for a picnic in the snow? (And remember only two weeks ago it was pouring with rain?)

This morning I already knew there would be no school, because the teachers are supposed to attend a mandatory training session Thursday and Friday. I wonder if it was cancelled.

I just let Ajax out and in, and the snow is now up to his belly. Marguerite's Pappy has it a little worse.

I finally got back to the socks I was knitting from the Online yarn I bought last July. Yesterday after shovelling the driveway and raking the roof, I was determined to finish that last inch of ribbing, so I picked them up and knitted three of four needles on the first sock, and found this:

Yes. A knot.

A knot, right inside the middle of the ball. And not only a knot, but a shift in the color repeat. I was right at the end of the five shades of blue, and looking forward to ending in dark green. Hah. Instead it went back into blue again.

After some disgusted muttering, I overlapped the ends and knitted on. I've finished Number One except for casting off, and last night I would have finished Number Two, except it was getting late and I was tired enough that I kept mixing up knits and purls. Time for bed!

I think this morning I'll knit those last few rows before going out to deal with last night's dump of snow.

Winter calligraphy:

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

oooh, that happened to me with a skein of Opal self-striping. As if the knot isn't bad enough, the color sequence reversed. Grr. I wasn't happy, either.

PS That's a heck of a lot of snow. How late in the year does your son end up in school to make up all those snow days?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Impressive picture. You have more snow than we do. Lots more snow.

Our snow has settled some. It's about 8 inches deep. The sun is out now and I'm hoping it's over while I can still get out of the driveway.

I had a knot yesterday in the Sassy Stripes yarn for John's birthday socks. I'm trying to get the socks to match so it was super annoying. Also, he has big feet and I didn't want to waste yarn getting to the point where it matches again. But I did. I may have to finish up with Opal toes.

11:28 AM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Wow! That's a LOT of snow!!! Love the socks - but don't yarn companies think when they do this crap? Grrr!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

More snow? You guys are lucky. We have had pathetic little snow showers and would really like some of that here! Ok, I would and my daughter. I know everyone does not like snow. Crazy people.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Wow, you guys are getting dumped on! And then to find a knot in your yarn on top of it is just completely unfair...

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter