Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



30 January 2008

Rare Opportunity

On the internet, no one knows you're a chicken.

If you've ever wondered what I looked like, aside from the fluffy-headed Polish hen of my profile, wander off to The Panopticon and look for the Introvert shirt.

I grew up with one of those grandfathers who turned on the floodlights at Christmas and took home movies. The take-home lesson was that if you were behind the camera, no one was taking pictures of you. Pictures of me are pretty rare, so take advantage!

Franklin took pictures of 111 people in about eight hours, so long conversations weren't happening. Let's see: he's very polite and has gorgeous eyes. He describes himself as a very shy person, but like many other heavy-duty introverts I could name, this doesn't show while he's talking to you.

We talked about taking pictures (I didn't realize he's a self-taught photographer), and I very briefly described how the discharging was done on my shirt. Then the row was done, despite my shakes (can you see my hands vibrating?), and it was the next person's turn.

It's a little dangerous to burn off an adrenal rush by browsing through a good yarn store!

Weather

I'll bet you're not surprised to hear that our son has another snow day. The temperature dropped from 48 F (9 C) at 7:00 pm to 10 F (-12 C) at 3:00 am, and there it stuck at 10 degrees.

The wind has been blowing the little bit of snow around, and although my husband made a try at leaving on time, he came back and waited for daylight. [Edited to add: An hour and twenty minutes later, he came back again. Guess it's a snow day for everybody.]
I'm still muttering and scratching my head over yesterday, though, when the low for the whole day was 40 degrees.

Oh. This is a load of spoiled hay we took off someone's hands for use in my garden. The softer and mooshier it gets, the better the garden likes it.

I have a geodesic dome and a compost pile, so of course I have an organic garden, too. I was amused to find out that my advisor from Michigan State University is now the faculty co-ordinator for the Student Organic Farm at MSU.

I remember mentioning using radishes as a trap crop for root maggots to another professor when I was there and being laughed at: "That's sounds like something one of those [nyuck nyuck] organic gardeners would say!" Now it's being taught in the curriculum. Gotta love that.

Today looks like a good day to work on the Chocolate Cherry socks. And to admire the contrast between indoors and outdoors!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

I love the picture of you!!

It is pouring with a vengeance here. I'd almost rather have snow. At least snow gives the illusion of light.

10:21 AM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

What a great picture! I'm hoping it rains today - been one of the endless summers I remember from childhood - and everything is sooooo dry!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I read The Panopticon yesterday and looked at all the faces...then I thought, hey, what if one of these is Alwen, so I went back and looked for the shirt! Woo hoo!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I love your Introvert shirt. I can't wait for Franklin to come (is it April yet?) I have never been to the store he will be coming to but it's in a posh town so I imagine it will be nice. I'm saving the pennies for some lovely purchases. My oldest daughter may even learn to knit just so she can go too. I'll get needles in her hands yet.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Suburban Correspondent said...

chocolate cherry - yum...and snow! (sigh) I want snow.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter