Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



02 December 2009

Green, Red, and Glowing

Last year we got snowed on early in the season and the snow only melted in between blizzards. This year it hasn't snowed yet. This beautiful green moss is revelling in the mild weather.

The stripe of red in this photo is apples that haven't fallen from the you-pick trees. Michigan had a great apple crop this year, but there are so many apples in storage the farmers can't sell them all.

That bright spot there is our winter sun.


I've been knitting mitered squares to contribute to a blanket. These are cool, since they start from a 3-stitch cast on and then you knit until you get to 3 inches, 6 inches, or however much yarn you have. I'm using up sock yarn leftovers.

I finally worked out some of the netting patterns in the 19th century books I've downloaded from Google.This pattern is called round netting and appears in several books. It's made just like regular netting, but you twist the loop twice before putting the netting needle or shuttle through it.

Once I worked down to a small enough gauge, it made nice neat hexagons.

This one is the Grecian or rose netting. I had started a sample and then quit, thinking I was doing it wrong. Weeks later I stretched it out and saw it was working just like the engraving. There are a lot of variations on this one: it uses two mesh sizes, and the appearance changes a lot depending on the size difference between the two.

There are a lot more of these I haven't tried or haven't worked out yet. I have always had a hard time visualizing things from just words, and these old books are all words.

Give me a diagram and I can work backwards and see how the words apply, and given that the books have some engravings of the end result, at least I know what I'm aiming for.

Often I have to just keep bashing my brains against the words, and then one day I sit down and my educated hands start working away while my brain shuts up and watches in amazement.

For now, I'm mostly still in the bashing stage.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

I work much easyer with diagrams than words :-) Beautiful photos, soon you will have snow too. Here we went from minus 5 degrees C to minus 12 degrees C in one night - brrr it is sure becomming winter... Great netting work!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I heard some places got snow. Not you? I always picture you covered in snow all winter.

I start getting jealous but then I remember what it's like to be covered in sow.

12:55 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Oh I love that description. My educated hands start working away while my brain just watches in amazement. You are a poet!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

I think I like diagrams best, too. But somehow I always end up feeling like there are a couple missing with a space in the middle that says 'and therefore it should be obvious that...' and it's just never obvious to me.

Oh, oxyricat -- that verification word seems appropriate for me.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter