Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



13 November 2009

Oh, No I Don't!

I was reading an article the other day, and later when I went to work I was still thinking about it.

It doesn't matter what it was about, because basically what it was about was fear. What it boiled down to was the article said, "Here is another thing to be afraid of, here is why it is scary, booga booga booga booga booooooo!"

And why I was still thinking about it is that I don't need any help being afraid. I have one of those five-alarm adrenal systems that goes off with lights and sirens and big red fire engines for any teeny change in my life.

When I was a kid, my heart rate would go up if I had to wait at a different bus stop. I do not need anything new to worry about.

I can already take the stuff that I know about farming and pesticides and herbicides and the water table and soil micro-organisms and fungi and extrapolate, and keep myself up nights.

I read a lot. So with about five minutes' head start, my little rabbity mind can be running zigzags in the brambles about pretty much any subject you can think of, "Oh no oh no oh no oh no!"

A person can go crazy living like that.

Fortunately I discovered walking and meditation and drawing and poetry at an early age.

More on that tomorrow!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

A perfect description. My rabbity little mind is prone to running in hysterical zigzags through the brambles, too. Or even worse, to go blind, deaf and dumb, and freeze in panic. I'm just lucky that the people who could have knocked me over with a stick didn't bother.

11:34 AM  
Blogger amy said...

Ditto. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

It often seems like the media (and the government) gives us only the information on things that make us anxious and nervous. H1N1 anyone? I think they've taken a prolific flu like illness and made people afraid. I'm a plan for the worst, expect the best sort of person

3:39 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, I truly do understand that! I tend to keep my media time to a minimum for exactly that reason, coupled with the fact that the media appear to be increasingly fear-driven (which makes me cranky in any case). Hang in there

5:22 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Huh, how did I miss this last week? This actually explains alot. I always knew your fear of change was greater then mine, but not to this extent. I don't like change either, but much depends on having a decent lead time to plan for it. It's the surprises I really hate!

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter