Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



12 January 2010

In Which the DH Learns About Mice

Once upon a time, there was a smoked turkey.

The smoked turkey was eaten up, and its carcass put into my big canning pressure cooker and made into soup stock.

But the cook (my dear husband) ran out of time to make soup. The canning pressure cooker was too big to fit into the refrigerator.

So the cook had a bright idea: he would put the kettle of stock outdoors, where it was 14 F (-10 C) and thaw it and make the soup later.

Monday there was a snowstorm, and after driving home from work in the snow, he cleared the driveway with the snowblower and came in too tired to make soup.

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday went by.

Thursday I glanced at the top of the canner when I came home from work at night (in another snowstorm) and wondered what those black specks on the top of it were.

Friday morning in daylight I took a good look: a nasty little mouse had climbed on the top and tried to get in by gnawing off tiny bits of the rubber safety seal.

Argh.

Fortunately it didn't get in . . . but I don't guess the canner will get left out in the snow again any time soon.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Geek Knitter said...

Oooh dear.

Well, I often tell people at work that I learned about computer configuration by messing them up so many times...

12:56 PM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Well, at least it didn't get in.

My stupid cat decided to be a pointer dog last night, and instead of catching the GD mouse, she just ran up to it and meowed until I came and got it. GRR....

12:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

A few years back, Mom left a frozen turkey out in the garage, slowly thawing, until Thanksgiving. When she brought it in she discovered that a "little mousie" had gnawed a hole in one thigh. Mom sliced off an area about the size of a silver dollar, painted the whole thing with Kitchen Bouquet (browning liquid) and baked it. Didn't fess up until Christmas, the minx. At least your mouse arrived after the meal!

1:46 PM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Lol no soup then. Too bad the little mouse didn't get supper as long as there will not be made food out of it :-)

3:41 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I bet not! I'm glad it didn't get in though. But it reminds me of the time a friend forgot to scrub off his grill right after grilling and opened it the next morning to find a rat inside. He screamed. That bit was funny, but he's never not cleaned that grill again!

7:44 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Mice like soup! Now you need to find a replacement gasket.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Wow, that is one persistent and hardy mouse! I'd be tempted to leave out the stock as a reward!!

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter