Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



07 October 2007

Bits and Pieces Post

Yesterday was a fiber-y day. My friend, Lady Shadow, taught lucet braiding at Vineyard Raids, then I turned around and taught her and several others fingerloop braiding. Then Lady Arrienne Ashford taught needle lace, which I wanted to take, but instead had to settle down my too-excited-to-eat child.

The other thing I did for myself for my birthday was to print out two samples I downloaded from Dover and put them up by my computer.

Now I can look up above my monitor and see Japanese irises, a kingfisher, and carnations, or look to the left and see a Tiffany window.

Every week Dover sends out a sampler email, with downloadable images from their books. I click through them and save the ones that appeal to me . . . mostly a lot of Chinese and Japanese prints and Art Nouveau images.

Other places I see pretty things are on a lot of the blogs I read. Tatt3r just finished a beautiful tatted handkerchief. She also has a beautiful Airedale puppy who has just had a birthday.

Olivia, who knits and felts bowls, just posted some Merino her grandmother spun for her. Look at the colors! I love the ones with two colors plied together.

CoffeeLady has been felting, too, cute little baby shoes. My "baby" is 8, or I'd be seriously tempted.

How about Isela's cute candy-corn bag? I don't like candy corn at all (I'm getting sugary heartburn just typing about it), but the bag is darling for Halloween.

A good place to finish up, Samurai Knitter's Koningsborg sweater. I don't care if it has been hanging unfinished and albatross-like around her neck, that sweater is a thing of beauty.

And I confess, I do have a weaving project on my loom that has been sitting there since -- 2003. We could have a challenge: I'll excavate the strata off the loom bench and finish off that warp, and Julie finishes the sweater.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger TinkingBell said...

Pretty pretty - lvoe the SCA (has a local branch and when kids are older I intend to spend some time with them! (HOW long has knitting been around?) Or maybe all knitters ARE Creative Anachronisms?

9:00 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Hi Alwen

Thanks for the shout-out! I will be sure to pass on your compliment to grandma.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Loving the Tiffany window, just gorgeous!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter