Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



23 November 2007

TGIF

The drive up to my parents for Thanksgiving was nice: clear dry roads and some of that rare stuff in late fall, when you get the weird blue bits showing in the gray.

I've picked up a lot of south-of-the-equator readers, so let me say that this part of Michigan was settled by the Dutch.

Having been to the Netherlands, I can understand why they found this flat, wet section of Michigan so familiar and homey. It was flat and needed drainage. Who understood getting water off of land like the Dutch?

Here's a great picture of lake-effect snow in action. See how the blue is all along the west Lake Michigan shore? That would be where I live.

Quick Great Lakes ID: Lake Superior to the north, Lake Michigan to the west, Lakes Huron and Ontario (mostly cut off, sorry Ontario) to the northeast, Lake Erie to the southeast. The little heart-shaped lake in between Huron and Erie is Lake St. Claire.

And since snow on the ground looks a little different from snow on the radar, here was our sunrise.

Not a whole lot of snow, and it will probably melt tomorrow when the temp. hits 40 F., but our son and snow-loving dogs have already been outside enjoying it. (And inside for hot cocoa -- one of the pleasures of cold weather is certainly getting warm again!)

Would you say this was mitten-knitting weather?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

My boys can't wait for snow. And part of the fun is definitely coming in for hot cocoa! I've been informed that it's okay that I haven't bought marshmallows yet, they'll deign to drink the cocoa plain if need be. :)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Ooh, snow! Definitely mitten weather!

5:14 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Oh pretty - can I come and visit you one christmas?

5:57 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Oh I would. For sure. I bet your finger tips get quite tingly in that sort of weather.

It is VERY flat, isn't it?!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

When I was a child (hey, quit rolling your eyes!), it always snowed for Christmas, but it hasn't been as reliable for the last decade or so.

Michigan got glaciated in a major way in the last ice age, scraped flat by moving glaciers, which then melted on top of it. So our "mountains" are mostly tallish rocky hills.

All that glacial outflow left was some ravines. We do have lots of sand dunes, though!

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter