Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



26 November 2007

This Blog's For You

When you got nothin', what better way to fake a blog post than by turning the spotlight on some of your internet buds?

One of the "lost-est" arts on my list is netting. One of the best netting websites on the internet is Rita's "Knots Indeed". Now she has a blog, also called Knots Indeed, and she has finished something I have to make some day: a netted (not knitted) shawl.

I have all those 1840's books with netting patterns -- one of these days I'll use some yarn and my big netting shuttle and make a shawl. (I did net a scarf years ago, but it's just plain old diamond netting, about eight feet long, made of wool that itches me.)

If I'm going to talk about netting, I have to link to Avital's website. And if I'm going to mention Avital, I have to link to the "Insane Knitting" section of her website. Anyone who knits things like a miniature Orenburg shawl or a peacock facecloth that only measures 3.5" across qualifies for the Insane Knitting crown!

Christmas is coming, and how can I tell? It wouldn't be snow -- that has melted. No, Susan is decorating! I'm giggling over a goat with a garland of Christmas lights around its neck.

Personally, I think someone else got my "decorator" genes -- if I have a ceramic Father Christmas and the artificial holly wreath up, I'm doing well.

In imitation of Sheepish Annie, "The Knitter is Down!" But not with a thumb injury.

Instead, I hurt my neck Saturday night. In my sleep. At least, I started out asleep, and somehow, in bed, asleep, made my neck crack so loudly that it woke me up. And hurt me.

Ow.

Just for the record, I will not be looking over my left shoulder until the crick in my neck eases up. If you're driving in SW Michigan, look out for my Honda Odyssey and stay out of my blind spot!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger TinkingBell said...

My late father could net and also repair nets and do all those fabulous seaman's knots like turks head and things. Sadly I allowed him to die before he could teach me - we always think we have sop much tiime with those we love - If I had the time over Mum would teach me welsh and greek and russian and german and dad would teach me to ney and knot!

9:12 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

I meant 'NET'

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter