Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



31 January 2008

The Polar Opposite of the Bear Shoot

Would be getting passport photos at Walgreen's. From a picture where I'm smiling, to one where I look like I've just spent 8-1/2 hours on a trans-Atlantic flight, followed by Customs and Homeland Security. Bleargh.


Yesterday evening we braved the roads (the two-track in the upper right of the photo) and went into town to return movies, buy sunflower seed for the birdfeeders, and get passport photos taken. My husband and I need to renew ours, and we'll be getting one for our son.

The long-term plan is that we'll go over to the Netherlands for a couple weeks again, but in the short term, we do live in Michigan, the state with 700+ miles of Canadian border, second only after Alaska.

When I was a kid we used to go over to Windsor on our vacation & buy Cadbury biscuits, so my memories of Canada are all chocolate-biscuit-scented. If our son is going to have anything like that in his memory bank, he'll need a passport.

It's hard for me to believe that it's been almost ten years since we went to the Netherlands. 1998 was quite a year for us. That was the year my husband came home and said, "I think I just quit my job," and I (the security-loving, change-hating one) said, "Hooray!!" I think that was also the year the place where I'd temped for too many years finally hired me full-time. (Or was that 1997?)

Shortly after he quit, we paid off our home mortgage, and that October, we went to the Netherlands for two weeks with my mom. I think I've already said that very shortly after we got back, I finally got pregnant with our son. 1998 was a year of big changes!

6 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Getting passports for me and the kids is on my list. Mine expired, plus my name has changed since then, and the boys have never had one. We're not ALL that far from Canada, either, not to mention occasionally my husband travels to Europe and I have an irrational fear that something will happen and I won't be able to get to him. Because I worry like that.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

We just got passports for our girls, too. Living right by the Mexican border as we do, it seemed ridiculous to think that we might not be able to take them there, just because we hadn't gotten passports yet!

1:55 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Passports for the kids (eerrkk) - I have to get one and so does my 5 year old - glad you reminded me!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Great picture. The wind was very artistic yesterday.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Passport photos. Urk.

Having a new fabulous 2008 to refresh the excitement of 1998 - priceless!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I heard on the news that in 2009 you won't be able to get back into the US from Canada without a passport. I am not much of an traveller and haven't had a passport for years but suddenly it seems like everyone should get one although the only border I cross with any regularity is the one into Pennsylvania.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter