Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



27 May 2008

Late May Flowers (No Pilgrims)

Columbines. I love 'em, wild and tame. This one is Aquilegia canadensis, which grows wild in Michigan and has reseeded itself next to our house for the last decade or so.

Many moons ago, my husband, before we were married, bought a tiny little house in Grand Rapids, Michigan. In the back was a tiny garden CRAMMED with flowering plants and trees. It had two peach trees, a pear tree, and a plum tree; globe thistles, peonies, hyacinths, tulips, and daffodils; exuberant orange poppies, thornless and thorny roses, and fall-blooming crocus.

And scads of columbines.

For a new horticulture graduate, it was an unbelievable playground. I weeded back there and gardened and dug.

And when we ended up moving and selling the place, I had written right into the agreement that I retained rights to the perennials. I had a list two pages long of all the flowers and things we were coming back for and where they were growing.

This is about all I got done yesterday. I went out and took columbine photos, squished the larvae of the evil columbine sawfly, came indoors and -- had a migraine.

That was a waste of a 77-degree (25 C) day! Today it's only supposed to hit the upper 50s and it's already 51 (11 C), and tonight they are warning of widespread frost and lows below freezing. Brrr.

I did get the lower half of a pear knitted this weekend, but it doesn't look like much yet.

So now that I'm not looking at the sparkly phosphene-like patterning of a migraine aura or feeling like I have an icepick stuck in my eyebrow, I think I'll go knit.

Oh. This is the flower of one of our two paw paw trees, Asimina triloba, the only member of the custard-apple family that grows in Michigan. We have two trees so that theoretically they could cross-pollinate (they won't self-pollinate), but #2 stubbornly refuses to flower. It'll fling up root-sprouts all around it, but not one peculiar-looking little flower. Hmmph!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

The house across the street from us changed hands over the winter. I think the previous owners took their tulips with them. I missed them this spring. I'm not much of a gardener, but if we ever move, I'd probably take some irises with me.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Beautiful!

I wanted to take things with me from our last place but the new tenants, who we actually knew, looked at me in complete horror. How dare I even suggest such a thing. It's not like they've cared for the garden. I have driven past and seen that it is utterly dry and neglected. Bastards!

Sorry about the migraine. I had one, too, briefly. They suck.

7:19 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

I took a few bits from the last house but made sure that they were already dug up and clearly labelled before the house went on the market. Still there were other things I SHOULD'VE taken....including the aquilegias [ pout ]and the hellebores [ double pout ]
and as you already know from reading the blog, I've been a member of the migraine club this weekend too... but I did manage almost 2 weeks without one which is almost a record for me

8:31 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, I'm sorry about the migraine -- that's not fun at all! The flowers are gorgeous, though, and excellently photographed. I love columbine...

8:37 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Major bummer about the headache!

Thanks ever so for the flower photos! Columbine grew wild around our summer cabin. I loved to pluck off the trumpets and bite off the honey buds. Yum! What a sweet, fresh memory you awakened for me. Thank you!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

I was wondering what the heck that was, that Pawpaw flower looks like some sort of strange alien lips. Too bad the other one won't bloom, I'm hoping I get to taste one some day.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter