Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



13 January 2010

Descent from Mount Roofmore (South Elevation)

The weather forecast for the next couple of days is above freezing, no snow, and today: SUNNY!

That can only mean one thing: time to get the snow off the roof!
A foot of slightly melted and refrozen snow is very heavy. But I wanted to take advantage of the SUNNY! (Can you see the steam rising off the shingles?)

If I can scrape it down to half an inch or so, solar power will take care of the rest.

My arms are tired. I might take another whack at the north elevation later.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Virginia G said...

That looks like a lot of work!

But probably excellent exercise. ;)

5:54 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Isn't the SUNNY wonderful? I have been enjoying it (although we lost all our snow right after christmas in a 50 degree rainstorm). It's been cold here but we're in for a slightly warmer weekend- and rain.

Be careful up there!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That's a big job! And a slippery one? Definitely be careful (pitons?) ;)

3:40 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

What a wild place you live! It takes a woman of your extraordinary moxie to thrive. And you thrive so well!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

I'm curious, why do you shovel your roof? I don't think we've done that since '79. Although you do get somewhat more snow, I always thought it acted as insulation to keep more heat in, do you think the house is more efficiently heated without the snow? Or is it more of a structural concern?

4:05 PM  
Blogger Silver Palace Soaps said...

There's only one roof that I had to help shovel and it is WAY bigger than yours. We used to push the snow down and then slide to the ground onto the pile built up. Ay, those were the days. Lots of fun.

8:23 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Oh my
and it's so hot today, I wish it was snowy here.....

10:44 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Oooh, be careful on the roof!

When we lived in Boulder, there was an early snow storm (in September) that broke nearly half the trees in the city because it came before they'd lost their leaves, and the weight of snow on leaves + branches was too much for the poor trees to handle.

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter