Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



27 November 2007

I Confess . . .

I Confess . . .

I haven't worked on the double-knitted mitten thumbs.

I haven't knitted any more of the knitted fish.

I know why I haven't: I have an uneasy feeling that picking up inside and outside half-stitches at the edges of the thumb slits is going to be, ah, difficult. More difficult than regular single-layered mittens.

And maybe it will get easier if I don't do it. Ha, yes, I know it doesn't really work that way. I have to just sit down with the scary project and do it.

The fish, on the other hand, I think I have figured out. I think it's going to have gill slits -- they'll be purl welts on the inside, so there will just be a slit showing on the outside.

Sometimes it's hard to tell when I am waiting for the part of my head that comes up with stuff to come up with something, and when I am waiting for the knitting elves to come in the night and finish up for me.

It's Windy!

WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM THIS MORNING TO 4 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON
Southwest winds will gradually veer to the west northwest and increase to 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 45 to 50 mph from mid to late morning through mid afternoon. The highest gusts are expected right along the Lake Michigan shoreline.


You should hear the wind outside my safe-feeling geodesic dome!

The ideal tree for wind pictures is a weeping willow, but we don't have any of those on our property. I can see oak leaves flying by higher than the house.

Oh, boy. Togetherness.

One of the things about being the only one at home is that I can do the "urg" tasks like putting toilet cleaner in the toilet and leaving it to work without anyone urgently needing to flush.

Except here it is, 10:17 in the morning, and my husband has just come home from work -- something about the computer system being down and not being able to do any work.

I think the Mad, Mad Housewife said it best.

Guess who just now finished glooping toilet cleaner into the toilet bowl?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who bites off (maybe) more than I can chew, and then takes forever to finish it for fear that I may not be able to do it. This is the biggest reason why I'm so slow.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Be thankful you don't have willow trees. We paid a fortune to have six of them removed because they were dangerously dropping large branches.

Now we have two old brittle ones left. They're throwing branches all over the yard in this wind.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Georgie said...

Woah, that is wild and windy!

Nothing like an unexpected day off for one's partner to throw things into a spin. Introvert sympathy over here!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

Oh, I am thankful not to have weeping willow trees. My parents had a huge one at the end of their driveway until the straight-line winds hit in 1998. After that, they had a fifteen-foot stub. It looks like a mop now.

And try to rake those skinny little leaves, hah! Can't be done.

But they are great to take photos of in high winds, from a safe distance.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter