Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



11 February 2008

Okay, That's Weird

After suffering along for a week opening Blogger in Firefox, starting a post, remembering the buttons didn't work, saying bad words, logging out, and opening IE -- shhh, it wooooorks!

Last night before I even went to bed, I got an auto-send email that said school was closed.

This morning was a busy morning in a boring, do-your-chores way: fill the humidifier (boy, does it empty out fast when it's only 12 degrees F outside!), clean the pre-filter to the big electronic air cleaner that sits next to the woodstove, and as long as it was 12 degrees outside anyway, put the contents of the chest freezer outside in the snow in laundry baskets and defrost the freezer.

And since I was just sitting around on the couch eating bon-bons (you know, in a pair of fluffy pink mules with the soap operas on), my husband emailed me to please shovel at the bottom of the driveway today, otherwise he didn't think he'd be able to get in after work tonight. Oh, and by the way, our newspaper box was gone off the post.

Oh, well, the birdfeeders were close to empty anyway. So I went out in the icy white cold, and wow, does air that cold smell clean!

I found the newspaper box halfway down the side of the drainage ditch and hammered it back onto the post with some big U-staples. I hope it stays on the next time the big slant plow comes avalanching by!

And I even shovelled a little bit. Luckily the wind blew straight up the driveway yesterday, instead of crosswise, so the snow wasn't very deep. (If it blows across, we have a retaining wall on one side, and it can fill it right up to the wall.)

In the afternoon, we made the decision to cancel tonight's West Michigan Lace Group meeting up in Byron Center at the Byron Township Library.

It's still only about 15 degrees F. out (-9 C), and road salt doesn't really work when it's colder than 20 degrees. It just sits there. And roads that are icy just stay icy and slick.

So we tried to email and call everyone so they wouldn't make a long drive in difficult road conditions only to find there was no meeting.

And now, by Hannah, I think I deserve that stinkin' bon-bon!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger TinkingBell said...

Oh yes - and don't forget that malibu trimmed pink negligee too!!

Have fun there in the great white - snow shovelling sounds like seriouly good exercise!

5:04 PM  
Blogger CC said...

This Post makes me cold just reading it! Thanks for taking care of the birdies too.

Stay inside where it's warm!

7:54 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

What - you mean you didn't shovel snow in your mules?

Notwithstanding that oversight, you totally deserve a bonbon. Or two. Or the whole box!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

is it just me or do you spend months and months shovelling and not doing much else?

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter