Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



06 February 2008

Who is Deciding This?

Last Tuesday we had a "snow" day when it was 44 degrees and the roads were clear. Yesterday we had a two-hour fog delay, then the big school extended it to all day "due to icy back roads". (However, our little school stuck to the two-hour delay.)

Today school is open.

The roads were a sheet of glassy white ice this morning; freezing rain was falling; and now it has changed to fairly heavy snow. (Or sleet or more freezing rain, depending on what minute it is.) So I don't get how the big school is open today and was closed yesterday. The people who are deciding this don't seem to live in the same USDA Hardiness Zone as I do!

Here is the picture of the Valdani bag I was trying to post yesterday, with one of two drawstrings braided. It used less thread than I expected, about 34 meters each of the size 8 (M21 Treasures, greens, rose, teals, lavender) and the size 12 (M58 Midnight Sea, navy, teals, turquoise).

The Valdani pearl cottons come in fantastic hand-dyed colors. I have a ball of M18 Iris Petals, or look! one of the M72 Fuchsia Garden.

I think more pretty little bags are in my knitting future!

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Just looking at that picture made me shiver. It's raining for the third straight day here. Driving. Me. Crazy.

Adorable little bag!! I'm working on the second little pouch for the second little heart, but the gauge isn't anything like yours--just regular sock yarn.

PS Tell your son "thanks." ;)

11:24 AM  
Blogger tatt3r said...

It started snowing at my house just before noon. The wind is from the east, and it's howling down the streets. Stay warm, Alwen, and safe driving!

11:55 AM  
Blogger Knit - R - Done said...

Holy crap! That makes Montana look like the tropics.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Eeeew, icy roads. I'd welcome some cold here, but you can keep yer ice all to yourself. (Besides, we're going to have tornados later.)

Uhm. That bag? Isn't that the one at twenty stitches to the inch? Don't I recognize that color combo? That you were knitting with NEEDLES WITH EYES??!!??

Okay. I feel much more sane now.

(Oh, and it's really pretty!)

2:59 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Brrrr! We had some lovely and much needed rain yesterday, so I haven't been complaining about the heat! Lovely bag (and I don't think I coul do it - even with a jewellers loupe!!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Will you look at that pouch! Did you know there's a group on ravelry for people who like teeny tiny stitches? Small gauging knitting or something. That's so mindblowing!

I want to reach out and touch those icicles!

Sometimes I wonder how areas of the world like yours were ever populated.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

that bag is so beautiful. What are you going to put in it? Maybe I shouldn't ask - as I sometimes complain when people ask 'what's it for' about my felted thingies. It's okay for them to just BE.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Who is Deciding This?

The same people who decided to move our road five feet north last summer and after working months taking down hundreds of trees then decided they couldn't move the road because there was a creek in the way.

Obviously the decision makers in our county are blind and getting their answers from a Quija board.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Your schools will be in session until August at the rate they're going. We are still waiting for snow, any snow. Kinda hard to wish for it when we hit a record high of 70 degrees today. It's February right?

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter