Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



13 February 2008

What We in the North Call the Sun

I saw the sun this morning: it was a glow-y orangish spot on the horizon. It's still up there!

After several days below 20 degrees, the temperature has finally gone up to 21! (-6 C) Which meant it was finally warm enough that, yes, Bells, I was out all morning shovelling.

There's a scene in the Terry Jones movie Erik the Viking where the dragon of the North Sea is luring their ship in using a glowing lure that is part of its head, like a deep-sea anglerfish.

They believe at first that the lure is the sun, which none of them have ever seen, but they gradually notice that the lure is swinging gently back and forth. Erik, played by Tim Robbins, asks aloud, "Is the sun supposed to do that?"

There's a point in every Michigan winter where I wonder that myself.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I have never seen that movie, but that line alone is enough to make me want to rent it!

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter