Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



30 May 2008

Up on the Housetop, Quick, Quick, Quick*

This green wall is why I strung all those strings up to the roof a while back.

Just as the sun reaches an angle where it would shine in the west windows in the afternoon and evening, the hops leaves have expanded enough to shade the room at the end of the house. (This would be the sheep's chest.)

Summer heat and a butterfly called the Hop merchant, Polygonia comma, will thin out our green wall, and by autumn it will look thinner and more tattered. Then I'll cut the vines back down to the ground and the sun will be welcome to shine in again all winter.

I tried to take a picture that showed my bright red car through the leaves, but it is overcast and dark this morning, so the picture shows glare instead of redness.
Sitting down and knitting bits of Niebling doilies seems to have stirred up the knitting mojo.

The purple waffle scarf had been sitting for a long time. I finally realized that every time I picked it up, I was struggling with the heavy metal single-point needles. I like the slipperiness of metal needles in the fuzzy yarn, but they were just too gosh-darn heavy.

So I finally gave up, and bought a circular needle for it. Since I knitted it onto the circ., I've knitted about a foot more and have a good feeling that it will be finished well before next winter.

The TLC Fizzy socks were waiting as well, still sitting on the knitting pile waiting for me to do the swatch calculations for the heel. Yesterday I finally did them, and in an afternoon the pair of socks that had been sitting sitting sitting had half the heels knitted.

It looks like it's going to be rainy and dark for another couple of hours today, so I can go and knit without guilt.

*Hops vines don't click.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I'm glad the vines don't click -- I'd worry. But what a great way to create seasonal curtains! And the knitting is looking wonderful; gray weather is such a perfect excuse for taking some time with the needles, eh? :)

11:57 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Hey... I've heard/read that fresh hops are mildly sedative and hallucinogenic. Any thoughts?


Plus, Europe has cut hop production way back and brewers are paying through the nose for them now. You might wanna contact a local brew store and see if they want to buy them. You might make some yarn money.

Unless you use them to brew your own beer, of course.

1:41 PM  
Blogger ephelba said...

What a great idea!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Love the sun filtering throught the green leaves. What yarn are you using for the purple scarf? It's beautiful.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

My husband is a sometimes homebrewer and Julie is right. The price of hops is going up and up. I've never seen them fresh, only prepared. What a great "green" solution to keep out the summer sun.

10:25 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

I understand that hops grow so fast that you can almost see it happen. What a medatative way to spend an afternoon - "Watching my hops grow."

Love your eco-curtains!

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I think I may "borrow" it for a west-facing window.

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter