Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 June 2008

Another Kind of Swap

I've been reading about Samurai Knitter and Historic Stitcher's swap, and realized I just did some swapping, too!

Last night was my fiber arts guild's annual auction. The idea is to bring in anything from your fiber arts stash that isn't thrilling you or calling your name any more and donate it to the auction. Then we bid on and go home with the things that are calling our names. All of the auction money goes into the guild treaury.

First we eat cookies.

Harder than you'd think. The cookies were excellent, but . . . bride? or groom?

Then you have to steel yourself and bite their little heads off.

And of course since fiber arts people are a tactile tribe, first we have to go around and pet things before we settle down and start bidding.

We begged the member who brought chocolate-covered strawberries last year to bring some more. She brought a whole tray! Packed three to a baggie.

The auctioneer used them to help some of the slower things go. As in, "Not just a basket, but a basket with some yarn in it."

[Silence.]

"A basket with some yarn and chocolate-covered strawberries in it?"

"Okay, a dollar."

Fortunately no one is allergic to chocolate or strawberries, and she cleared out fabric, handmade paper, baskets, magazines, knitting needles, yarn -- yarn?

Okay, I did buy some yarn. (And strawberries.) And I donated some yarn that hasn't spoken to me for months and years.

I got this:
The sky-blue yarn is 2 ounces of Jaggerspun Zephyr. The storm-cloud blue yarn is 1400 meters of laceweight merino. Lovely, lovely stuff.

Trust me, you do not want to know how little much I paid for this.

This year, I even bought extra strawberries to share with the family. Once again, we ate them before I thought of getting pictures!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

Looks like you made out like a bandit. I read about a woman who will make cookies that look like any photo you give her. She makes her own cutters and does all the details. I don't think I could bear to let anyone eat them.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

those biscuits are amazing!! clearly that person has tooooo much time on their hands!!! (I'd eat the heads first I think. then they feel no pain. because, you know, ordinarily biscuit people feel pain when you eat their legs etc!!!)

10:36 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

wow! I had to look twice and the biscuits. So very cool! And ever so slightly weird. A lot of work.

What a fabulous night!

8:54 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Too much fun - AND a chance to purge the stash! Such a deal. Love the color of that stormy blue laceweight, - - but it looks like winding that will be a project in and of itself.

9:41 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, excellent purchases! I must confess that I think I would be a bit disconcerted by eating bridges and grooms myself -- much better to stick with the strawberries :)

10:50 AM  
Blogger catsmum said...

fabulous fabulous yarn - you know how I like ze blues. Lucky for you that there's a whole ocean between us otherwise you might find your stash getting raided :}

8:31 AM  
Blogger historicstitcher said...

We have a set of farm animal cookie cutter, and we ALWAYS enjoy making them "correct". The sheep get covered in shredded coconut (except for the heads and legs, of course), the cows get little pink udders (why would they make them that way if they didn't expect us to do it?), and we make about 12 different colors of icing just for decorating them. far more fun than gingerbread men!

Brides and grooms, though? Cool.

and in answer to your question: only if you want to see it woven. Tatting is the one and only hand-art I have not been able to wrap my fingers around!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter